In Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.”
University Mennonite Church’s purpose for a safe-child policy is to demonstrate our commitment to the physical safety and the spiritual growth of all our children and youth, ages birth to age 18, as well as to our volunteers who care for them.
- Volunteers must attend regularly for 6 months before they can volunteer by themselves for anything relating to children and youth. They can assist an approved volunteer during the initial 6 months.
- It is recommended that the nursery, children, and youth classrooms be staffed by 2 adults.
- When a classroom can only be staffed by 1 adult, due to lack of volunteers, the 1 adult should be clearly visible from the door windows.
- An adult rover should be assigned each Sunday to randomly check the rooms, including the bathrooms, during the worship hour and Sunday School hour.
- Ideally, when 2 related adults volunteer for a children or youth activity that is not in a public place, it is suggested that a 3rd adult be present. e.g. an overnight activity in the church building.
- When children or youth are taken to an activity away from the church, 2 adults should be present unless it is a populated place such as a restaurant. Drivers must have proof of their up-to-date car insurance policy in the vehicle.
NURSERY, CLASSROOMS, RESTROOMS
- Nursery room should be staffed with 2 people, 1 adult and 1 youth ages 12 and older, when the nursery is officially being used.
- Nursery and classroom doors must stay open when there are no adults in the room.
- Nursery and classrooms must have doors with clear class windows, unobstructed by artwork or curtains, and convex mirrors that are positioned to provide an unobstructed view of the entire room from outside the door.
- Restroom doors must remain open with the kickstand when an adult is helping a child who is not the adult’s own child in the bathroom.
- Adults who are not caring for children in the nursery should not use the nursery bathroom.
This policy is posted at strategic places where the public can easily see and read our commitment to our children and youth. The policy will be renewed every year.
All volunteers who work with children and youth are encouraged to attend a child abuse prevention class.